Monday, December 5, 2011

Charity Change over

When I started selling my handmades, I made a commitment to give back.  My mom was a great supporter of my love for sewing and because she lost her battle with breast cancer in 2002, It was a natural choice for me to donate to a breast cancer charity.  I'd been making a yearly donation of 10% of my sales to the Susan G. Komen foundation when I run the Race for the Cure each fall.  This year I was saddened to find out that the Komen foundation has (in my opinion) become too big for their britches and spent millions of dollars suing other charitable organizations for using the words "for a cure" or the color pink.  Although I still intend to run the Race for the Cure every year, just as I have for the past 9, I decided to move my fundraising efforts to a new organization.
At the beginning of the year my cousin Liza was diagnosed with a super-rare form of liver cancer.  This cancer is frightening because it is so rare and only effects young people.  Most of the times it isn't detected until the late stages.  Being so rare, makes it difficult to study, difficult to develop treatments, and difficult to raise money and awareness.
Starting this month, 10% of the purchase price of every handmade piece that I make will be donated to the Fibrolamellar Cancer Foundation (with the exception of sales made on eBay*)
If you want to know more about my cousin Liza, help support or follow in her journey, there are regular updates on her facebook page.
Liza with her nephew Parker
*eBay requires that any listing with an advertised donation to a charity has to be made through their MissionFish organization.  At this time, the Fibrolamellar Cancer Foundation is not listed in MissionFish, so 10% of the purchase price of items purchased through eBay will be donated to the American Cancer Society or Women In Distress of Broward County

-Shelley

No comments: